About the Course:
Real-world scenarios often call on children to respond to challenges. The Stay Safe! program teaches applicable and age-appropriate skills, while increasing and reinforcing a youth’s capacity to improve his or her own safety. Whether in their community or on their own, this group will be given better tools to Stay Safe! in a variety of different situations.
- Importance of responsibility and respect while being accountable for yourself
- Importance of setting and following rules around safety when staying on your own
- How to stay safe at home and within the community
- How to prepare for, recognize and respond to unexpected situations (e.g., inclement weather, strangers, and unanticipated visits)
- Basic first aid skills including:
- Check, Call, Care (includes phoning EMS/911)
- Recovery position, conscious choking (adult/child/alone).
- Feeling unwell
- Asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer), anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen), poisoning, and insect stings
- Wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises, life-threatening bleeding, burns)
- Minimum 9 years of age (or completion of Grade 3)
- Maximum 13 years of age
$65 + GST